Thursday, January 10, 2013

Searching for another Dr.

After becoming very discouraged and heartbroken about the financial situation with the Sinai Hospital and Rubin Institute in Baltimore Maryland we decided to seek out another Dr. that did accept her insurance and was closer to home that had experience with limb lengthening and the super ankle procedure that Kayla needed done. After much research I found a Dr. in Nashville Tennessee at the Monroe Carroll Jr children's Hospital who I felt comfortable with so I set up an appointment with him and took Kayla to see him. I was impressed with him. He basically told me the same things that Dr. Herzenburg in Maryland told me. He was confident that he could take care of Kayla the way she needed so I discussed it with my husband and we decided to give him a try. Kayla's insurance was accepted there and we were closer to home. Nashville was only 5 hours away whereas Maryland was around 9 or so hours away. When it came closer to time for her surgery I began to ask more questions. I just assumed that since we were going to have to stay in Maryland for 3 months after Kayla's surgery for the lengthening process and for physical therapy that it would be the same way with staying in Nashville, but after asking questions about places to stay I was informed that the Dr. does not keep his patients, he sends them home just a couple of days after the surgery and expects them to do all the pin turning (lengthening) and Physical therapy in their hometown and they would have to travel back and forth for Dr's appointments which would be quite often. After learning this My husband and I began to immediately feel uncomfortable about taking her there. We just would not feel safe having her at home during the lengthening because we were told that Major things could go wrong and there was just no way the hospital here in our home town would be anywhere close to capable of taking care of Kayla should something go wrong and traveling back and forth just was not an option for us, so once again I was very discouraged and heartbroken. I had almost given up but the more I looked at Kayla and watched her grow the more determined I became to make sure she got the best of care possible so I took matters into my own hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment